- Sensible. Sandy and Dennys are the more-or-less normal members of the Murry family. They put a premium on conforming, and it's what makes them happy.
- Green-thumbed. Someone should count the mentions of the twins' vegetable garden in the L'Engle oeuvre.
- Socially conscious: Particularly in A House Like a Lotus. They may not be tessering in their adult lives, but they're still totally going to change the world. In a good way.
- Sandy: "If Dad were a plumber or an electrician, and if Mother were somebody's secretary, it would be a lot easier for us."
- Dennys: "We've never had willing suspensions of disbelief. We're the pragmatists of the family."
- Sandy: "We were stupid, mucking around with an experiment-in-progress."