Thursday, July 10, 2008

What I've read lately

Top 8, by Katie Finn: Decent story, but I'm not so sure about the geography. I picked this one up because it's set in Putnam, Connecticut, which I've gone through many times visiting relatives near there. But Finn's Putnam is close enough to Long Island Sound that the characters can make a quick trip to the waterfront - not quite.

Silent in the Grave and Silent in the Sanctuary, by Deanna Raybourn: Love 'em both. Great voice, fabulous characters, want to know what's next in the series. (In the meantime, I'll make my way through Tasha Alexander.)

What I Saw and How I Lied
, by Judy Blundell: I was looking forward to this one (okay, entirely because of the cover) but I couldn't convince myself to like any of the characters - disappointment. Liked the 1940s fashion, details, though.

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos, by R.L. LaFevers: For those who are still too young for Peabody and Emerson. Fun read.

Lottery, by Patricia Wood: Why did I take so long to get to this one? It was amazing!

Chains, by Laurie Halse Anderson: A different take on the "kid on the fringes of the Revolutionary War" narrative, and one that's hard to put down.

Climbing the Stairs, by Padma Venkatraman: Loved the story; try combining this one with What the Body Remembers (but brace yourself - I read it years ago and some of the scenes are still vivid).

Gamma Glamma, by Kim Flores: Fabulous voice. Would have gotten to this one a lot sooner if the ARC had come with any sort of synopsis (sorry, pet peeve).

Zoe's Tale, by John Scalzi: Definitely going to read his other books now. Love the voice, love the story, love the twist.

The Case of the Fiendish Flapjack Flop, by Nate Evans: Lots of cute puns. I'll be recommending it to all the kids who need something to tide them over until the next Wimpy Kid book comes out. (January - be patient!)

2 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Yeah, I need to get that hard-boiled detective one. And the "Climbing the Stairs" - I keep seeing it everywhere. And all good.

ORION said...

Aloha!
Thanks so much for the nice LOTTERY mention. It's always really gratifying to hear this.
Authors are SO needy lol!
much aloha
Patricia Wood