Sunday, January 27, 2008

Suite Scarlett

In which she tries out a new reviewing format.

Suite Scarlett, by Maureen Johnson. May 2008.

First, I love the cover. I'm just a bit jealous of people who can wear lipstick like that - because, as Lola points out several times in the book, not everyone can wear bright lipcolor. Some of us still haven't found a color we can wear at all... but that's a rant for another day.

Sneak peeks: Read the first chapter at Insideadog.

Other reviews: Little Willow. Reading Rants!

Meet the author: I discovered Maureen Johnson through her blog - go check it out.

What stuck with me: Besides the lipstick? I loved the portrayal of a real family business, where the kids are involved in the strategy and finances, not just the work. Oh, and the excitement of getting a text message from the love interest - I'm a long way from fifteen, but I still have that reaction.

Where the book is going next: I'll be recommending this when it comes out in May. In the meantime, my copy is going to a 30-something man. (Seriously. How many other reviewers can say that?) He's a theater person, and he's done his share of chaotic productions. He'll appreciate the silent-film-esque Hamlet rehearsing in a hotel basement.

Makes me want to read: Ghost Light, by Frank Rich. Some of Maureen's other books, like 13 Little Blue Envelopes and Girl at Sea.

Makes me want to reread: The Joys of Love, for a different take on theater life. Maybe The Pink Motel, just for contrast.

1 comment:

Little Willow said...

Thanks for the link.

Isn't the cover fitting?

I love that you're giving this book to a thirtysomething man. YES.

I'm very happy for Maureen and Scarlett -- they get a sequel!